News Topical, Digital Desk : Tensions between the United States and Venezuela have escalated once again. US President Donald Trump called for a complete closure of Venezuela's airspace, prompting Venezuela to call for a colonial threat. This statement has further escalated the already ongoing military activity and political tensions in the region.
Donald Trump said on Saturday that all airspace over and around Venezuela should be considered closed. He posted this message on Truth Social, addressing airlines, pilots, drug traffickers, and human traffickers. The White House did not respond to his statement, so it's unclear whether this represents a new policy or simply an attempt to increase existing pressure.
The Venezuelan government called Trump's statement a colonial threat and said it attacked their country's sovereignty and air security. The Foreign Ministry called the statement a unilateral and hostile move.
Airlines cancel flights
Venezuela also alleges that US authorities have halted biweekly deportation flights for Venezuelan migrants. More than 13,000 Venezuelans have been deported so far this year. Meanwhile, international airlines have begun canceling flights to Venezuela. The FAA recently warned that there has been increased military activity around the country, so fly with caution.
The FAA 's jurisdiction is limited to the United States, but it issues warnings to pilots about dangerous areas worldwide. Both the FAA and ICAO declined to comment on the matter.
US pressure on Venezuela and increased military activity
The Trump administration has long been ramping up pressure on President Nicolas Maduro, who the US does not recognize as a recognized leader and faces drug-trafficking charges.
The US military has conducted bomber flights near Venezuela and deployed the US aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford near the country. This is part of Operation Southern Spear, which involves approximately 12 Navy ships and 12,000 troops.
US strikes in the region have killed more than 80 people since September. The US Senate has announced an investigation into Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's alleged verbal order to kill all suspects in one strike.
Trump - Maduro talks report
Trump's team has considered both military and covert options against Venezuela. Meanwhile, the New York Times reported that talks had taken place between Trump and Maduro. However, the White House did not comment.
--Advertisement--
Share



